IELTS Writing Task 2 Question
Some countries invest in specialized sports facilities for top athletes but not for the average person. Is this a positive or a negative development?
A number of nations allocate (to give an amount of time, money, etc. to someone or something) funds for professional athletic facilities, which are available only for first-class sportspeople, but not for ordinary citizens. In my opinion, it is rather an unfavourable (having a negative opinion) development than a positive one. In the upcoming paragraphs, I will be explaining my point of view in detail.
First, the government should take care of the health and physical development of all citizens and not only sports elites (the richest, most powerful, or best-trained group in a society). This is because every working citizen pays taxes and should have equal rights for social amenities (something that makes it enjoyable or comfortable to live or work somewhere), including specialized sports centres. Thus, funding of special purpose sports facilities might be considered social inequality, especially if they were not available for a regular person. For example, when I had decided to start jogging, I was completely frustrated by the fact that a running ring with an excellent soft covering was not allowed for training if a person was not a member of the national team.
Related posts maybe you like:
- Opinion Essay for IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic: Educational Institutions
- Band 8 IELTS Writing Task 2 Opinion Essay – Topic: Fast Food
- IELTS Discussion Essay Model Answer – Topic: Computer and Telephone
- IELTS Direct Question Essay Model Answer – Topic: Gardens and Roads
- IELTS Opinion Essay Model Answer – Topic: Televisions for Children
Some people argue that top athletes should have top priority because they represent a country. Despite the fact that international competitions are of great importance (=important), investing in professionals’ needs only does not pay off (brings you some benefit) in the long term because the construction and maintenance of sports halls are highly expensive. Meanwhile, modern society has other crucial issues, which are in need of funds, such as the health care system, city infrastructure( systems within a place which affects how well it operates), and environmental issues.
In conclusion, I think that the latest tendency among certain governments to invest in sports facilities for superior sportspersons leaving average people behind is a negative trend because every citizen should have equal rights. Moreover, in terms of revenue from international events, funding these elite sport objects is not profitable.
Structure of the opinion essay
- In an opinion essay, you have to decide you agree or disagree with the statement, then you will support your idea in your essay.
Do you agree that the countries should invest in specialized sports facilities for top athletes and not for the average person? (or)
Do you disagree with the fact that countries should invest in specialized sports facilities for top athletes but for the average person too?
- Once you pick a side (agree/disagree), you can start planning your essay and then express your opinion clearly in the introduction.
Question Paraphrased –A certain number of nations allocate funds for professional athletic facilities, which are available only for first-class sportspeople, but not for ordinary citizens.
Opinion – In my opinion, it is rather an unfavourable development than a positive one.
A thesis statement – In the upcoming paragraphs, I will be explaining my point of view in detail.
BODY PARAGRAPH 1
Topic: Health and physical development of all citizens
- Government should take care of the health and physical development
- Working citizens pay taxes
- Funding of special-purpose sports facilities could be social inequality
BODY PARAGRAPH 2
Topic: Investing in professionals’ needs may not pay off in the long run
- Construction and maintenance of sports halls are expensive
- Modern society has other crucial issues
Reiterated that the latest tendency among certain governments to invest in sports facilities for superior sportspersons leaving average people behind is a negative trend and supported the side taken in introduction.