IELTS Writing Task 2 Question
Whether or not a person achieves their aims in life is mostly related to luck. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
It is argued that luck is the key to some people’s success. As achievement is only attributed to (regard sth as being caused by) hard work and determination, I completely disagree with this opinion. I will be explaining my point of view in the forthcoming paragraphs.
If success was free, everyone would have it. In fact, there are only a few successful individuals because they are determined and industrious (hard working). The harder people work on their dreams, the more confident they become. Those who lack self-esteem (confidence and belief in your own ability and value) also lack determination and end up losing hope, resulting in (=lead to) failure. For instance, Thomas Edison, one of the greatest inventors in the 20th century, conducted (carry out) thousands of failed experiments with the filament (the thin wire inside a light bulb) until the finest light bulb was produced. His success is made by his hard work rather than luck.
Related posts maybe you like:
- IELTS Opinion Essay Model Answer – Topic: Creative Artists
- Model Essay for IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic: Learning a Language Could Be Advantageous
- Sample Essay for IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic: Rich Countries Give Financial Aid to Poor Countries
- IELTS Discussion Essay Model Answer 4 – Topic: Save Languages With Few Speakers From Dying Out
- IELTS Opinion Essay Model Answer 02 – Topic: Tobacco
Luck does not play an important role in one’s achievements. It is just a state of mind (thoughts and feelings at present time), so if people are dependent on (reliable on) luck they could never be successful. For instance, a student who does not study for an exam, might fail. Moreover, it is clear that a person who wins a lottery, might soon lose all of his or her money as it does not require anything to achieve.
Sure, people have been prioritizing luck and destiny since ages and it does play a vital part. However in all senses, hard work and determination always overpower ( to be much stronger than the other) an unlucky situation.
In conclusion, for all the reasons I have mentioned above, I believe that to become a successful person at the end of the day, people must be hardworking and determined to work on their dream, rather than rely on luck.
Structure of the opinion essay
Decide which side (agree or disagree) you will support:
- Do you agree that a person achieving their aim in life is mostly related to luck?
- Do you disagree with the fact that a person achieving their aim in life is mostly related to luck?
After choosing the side, you can start planning your essay and then express your opinion clearly in the introduction.
Question Paraphrased – It is argued that luck is the key to some people’s success
Opinion – As achievement is only attributed to hard work and determination, I completely disagree with this opinion.
A thesis statement – I will be explaining my point of view in the forthcoming paragraphs.
BODY PARAGRAPH 1
Topic: There are only a few successful people
- If success was free, everyone would have it
- Only a few successful people are determined and industrious
- Those who lack self-esteem also lack determination
BODY PARAGRAPH 2
Topic: Luck does not play a role in achievement
- Luck is a state of mind
- People dependent on luck can never be successful
Reiterated that to become a successful person at the end of the day, people must be hardworking and determined and support the side taken in the introduction.