IELTS Writing Task 2 Question
Some people believe that the experiences children have before they go to school will have the greatest effect on their future life. Others argue that experiences gained when they are teenagers have a bigger influence. Discuss both views and give your opinions.
A lot of researchers have claimed that the early childhood years are far more formative and important than later. In my opinion, it makes sense to claim that adolescence shapes the future in a better way. In the next few paragraphs, I will be highlighting my point of view.
Those who are supporting the idea of preschool years can easily highlight the effect of early experiences on the neurological development of a child. Psychologists believe that the majority of personality development takes place in the first 2 years of life. This comes from the relationship that children develop with their parents, the unconditional love that they are exposed to or any neglect or abuse they get to experience in a household with a negative environment. As the child continues to mature and become aware of the surroundings, they begin replicating the ideas, actions and thoughts of the parents. By the time a child reaches kindergarten, most of their social and personal identity is, apparently, fixed.
Related posts maybe you like:
- IELTS Discussion Essay Model Answer 16 – Topic: Book
- IELTS Discussion Essay Model Answer 5 – Topic: Directors of large organizations earn much higher salaries
- IELTS Discussion Essay Model Answer 4 – Topic: Save Languages With Few Speakers From Dying Out
- IELTS Discussion Essay Model Answer 2 – Topic: Send Messages into Space
- IELTS Direct Question Essay Model Answer – Topic: Status of the Young
Despite the valid arguments detailed above, I believe the teenage years are when children really start understanding the demands of others against their own personal desires. The key life events that take place in the teenage years include an increase in academic pressure, social relationships, increased responsibility at home, and the biological changes of puberty. These are the foundation of finding one’s place in the world and establishing expectations from friends, family, school and society. Some teenagers find a balance early and succeed, while others struggle for long periods that may last into adulthood. On the whole, these experiences outweigh the ones a child experiences in the toddler years.
In conclusion, though the childhood years are developmentally important, nothing is the better predictor of the future than the issues that must be resolved as teenagers. Therefore, it is important that teenagers get enough space to grow and chances to express themselves better.
Structure of opinion essay
You were given a discussion essay for which you had to give an opinion. Choose a side. State your opinion on it.
Question Paraphrased – A lot of researchers have claimed that the early childhood years are far more formative and important than later.
Opinion – In my opinion, it makes sense to claim that adolescence shapes the future in a better way.
A thesis statement – In the next few paragraphs, I will be highlighting my point of view.
Body Paragraph 1:
Central Idea: Impact of early experiences on neurodevelopment
- A majority of personality formation is in the first 2 years of life
- Relationship that children develop with their parents
- As the child matures, starts imitating the parents
- By the time a child reaches kindergarten, the social and personal identity is fixed
Body Paragraph 2:
Central Idea: In teenager years, children truly navigate the demands of others against their own personal desires
- Key life events taking place in the teenage years
- Foundation of finding one’s place in the world
- Some teenagers find a balance early and succeed
- Others struggle for long periods
Reiterated that though the childhood years are developmentally important, nothing is a better predictor of the future than the issues that must be resolved as teenagers and supported the side taken in introduction.