IELTS Writing Task 2 Question
Some people think that it is a waste of time for high school students to study literature, such as novels and poems. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
In the present scenario, many people think that learning literature should not be an essential part of the high school curriculum. However, in my opinion, literature still serves a significant purpose. I will be explaining this in the forthcoming paragraphs.
The ones supporting this thought believe that other subjects should get more attention. There is no denying the fact that in the 21st century, the most important subjects for students’ future careers are related to the sciences, such as engineering and computer science, or the practical humanities, like business. By choosing the trending subject, students can start early to beat the competition and grab a well-paying job, just after completing high school or college. In contrast, the novels and poems that students read in high school are usually completely forgotten within a few years and don’t teach any practical skills to help them earn well in the real world.
Related posts maybe you like:
- IELTS Opinion Essay Model Answer – Topic: Creative Artists
- IELTS Discussion Essay Model Answer 4 – Topic: Save Languages With Few Speakers From Dying Out
- Model Essay for IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic: Learning a Language Could Be Advantageous
- IELTS Cause Solution Essay Model Answer – Topic: Poverty
- IELTS Writing Advantage Disadvantage Essay Model Answer 01 – Topic: Travelling
Despite this, the literature contains many important and fundamental truths about the human condition. Life is way more about a secure job and a high-paying career. This can be proved right from the fact that authors handle the philosophical and psychological side of life. For instance, the exploration of man’s search for meaning is related to everybody and cannot be replaced with an established career. Also, the way writers develop their writing helps impart the importance of artistic expressions among readers. In addition to this, it also helps readers experience a different world in comparison to the materialistic world that they are used to.
While those who don’t support the importance of novels might be claiming the same with a full-proof logic, irrespective of the argument, literature offers a different sense to the young mind, which further opens the doors to creativity and imagination.
In conclusion, the benefits of studying practical subjects don’t outweigh the deeper values of literature. It is therefore advisable that literature should be emphasised and taught in high school classrooms.
Structure of the opinion essay
Decide which side (agree or disagree) you will support:
- Do you agree that it is a waste of time for high school students to study literature, such as novels or poems?
- Do you disagree with the fact that it is a waste of time for high school students to study literature, such as novels or poems?
After choosing the side, you can start planning your essay and then express your opinion clearly in the introduction.
Question Paraphrased – In the present scenario, many people claim that learning literature should no longer be an essential part of the high school curriculum.
Opinion – In my opinion, literature still serves a significant purpose.
A thesis statement – I will be explaining this in the forthcoming paragraphs.
BODY PARAGRAPH 1
Topic: Most important subjects are related to science
- Other subjects get more attention
- Students choose trending subjects to secure a well-paying job
- Novels and poems are usually forgotten as don’t teach practical skills
BODY PARAGRAPH 2
Topic: Literature contains important truths about humans
- Life is more than acquiring a career
- Great authors deal with philosophical and psychological side of life
- Exploration of issues is relevant to everyone
Reiterated that the benefits of studying practical subjects don’t outweigh the deeper values of literature and support the side taken in the introduction.